Here’s to an incredible year and a look ahead at 2022Posted On: Friday December 17, 2021
‘Tis the season for giving back
The construction site of the new St. Paul’s Hospital is lighting up our new neighbourhood in support of St. Paul’s Foundation’s Lights of Hope campaign! Now in its 24th year, Lights of Hope has raised millions to help fund urgently needed equipment, life-saving research, community programs, and so much more. Huge kudos to PCL Construction for donating to Lights of Hope and for setting up an amazing display. It’s a small sign of what’s to come in 2027 when the hospital opens.
The project team is also excited to share that together with PCL staff, we raised over $30,000 for the Vancouver Rape Relief and Women’s Shelter, the longest-standing rape crisis centre in Canada, as part of our team’s annual holiday charity fundraiser.
Reflecting on 2021’s incredible progress
What a big year for the new St. Paul’s Hospital and Health Campus Project! In 2021 we:
- Selected PCL Construction to design and build the new hospital and revealed the hospital’s new look.
- Broke ground at our future home at 1002 Station Street, with excavation just underway to ensure the hospital can be built on stable ground.
- Partnered with sovereign Host Nations (Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh) to hold a blessing ceremony at the site of the new hospital and the planned Indigenous Wellness and Welcoming Centre.
- Announced three shortlisted potential developers for our future health innovation hub, known for now as the Clinical Support and Research Centre (CSRC).
We’ve made major strides in getting the future hospital off the ground, so what’s next?
Full steam ahead
It will be another busy year – here’s what you can expect:
- Excavation will be wrapping up in the spring and we’ll begin the ‘building phase’ as PCL starts pouring concrete for the hospital’s foundation.
- The first two cranes are expected to be installed in February, with the rest (for a total five) to follow throughout the spring.
- By the end of 2022, concrete slabs will be placed for each floor of the 4-level parkade. Once that’s done, the construction crews can start to build the structure of the future 11-storey hospital in 2023!
As construction continues, clean-up crews will work to keep the perimeter of the site clean and safe for our local communities. Curious to know what’s happening at the site? Check out our construction webcam.
2022 Project Highlights
- One of the shortlisted developers will be selected as our partner to design, build and develop the CSRC, our new state-of-the-art research centre, that will be steps away and connected to the new hospital.
- Full-scale mock up rooms will be built offsite so our doctors and clinical staff can test and refine the design of new operating rooms, patient rooms and more.
- We’ll begin test driving a new Clinical Operations Centre, similar to an air traffic control tower, at St. Paul’s Hospital. The new hospital will use real-time data and analytics to orchestrate thousands of processes, patients, and staff that flow through the hospital.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!
|We’re thankful to our local communities for your continued patience and understanding as we bring to life our bold vision to transform health care. Thank you to the PCL Construction for their hard work, and to all the doctors, clinicians, and patient and caregiver partners who are providing input into the design and future of our new hospital and campus. |
Wishing you and your family a safe and happy holiday season and a happy New Year!